What has WSWG been doing this month?
- We’ve had our first meeting with two of our wonderful team of consultants, Chris Piper and Claire Glaister, who are busy in discussions on our behalf with Forestry and Land Scotland. Forest mensuration specialists John & Robbie Macdonald have also been measuring up the woods for us. More later!
- Our membership is growing all the time. Let’s keep the numbers rising to prove wide community support for this exciting project. If there are multiple people 16 years and over in your household who could each become members, please encourage each of them to sign up to boost our tally more.
“Feeling Good in the Woods” and other WSWG events – latest
- We had a great day with herbalist, Leila Mayne in Taymount Wood on 16 June. An introduction to herbal tasting, a herbal walk to discover medicinal uses of many plants found widely in the woods, and a meditative walk and creative poetry workshop. Some poems now on our Facebook page.
- Unfortunately our Woodland Art event with artist Jeni MacNab on 13 July had to be postponed. However, we aim to rearrange it for later in the summer. Watch this space!
- “Joining the Dots for Wildlife”: the WSWG stall at this Stanley Swift Project/RSPB event in Swift Awareness Week event on 28 and 29 June in Stanley Village Hall helped spread the message of how valuable it will be if we can improve the woodland habitat at Taymount Wood and Five Mile Wood to boost numbers of flying and other insects for our swifts and other wildlife to feed on. We gathered more new WSWG family & individual members too.
- WSWG had its first “Gazebo Sunday” event at Active Kids on 30 June with a stall promoting the WSWG project – except it was too windy to put up our new gazebo, so we parked ourselves in one of the picnic shelters instead! We got some great artwork from visiting children and more family memberships too. WSWG stalls will be popping up all over the place – keep a look out and say hello!
- Join us on our Community Woodland Exchange Visits. We plan to visit Aigas Community Forest near Beauly plus hopefully another nearby community woodland one day in the second half of August and also Carrifran Wildwood and Eshiels Community Woodland in the Scottish Borders on 17 August. Get in touch if you would like come and find inspiration for our own woodland adventure.
- Free Guided Walks to encourage our Friends in the North (ie Dunkeld and Birnam) to come and meet us and to support the WSWG Project: Five Mile Wood (11am, 20 July – meet at Active Kids car park) & Taymount Wood (11am, 27 July, car park). Friends from the south, east & west welcome too!
- Become a WSWG Member today
- Join the FREE MEMBERSHIP SCHEME on our website www.weststormontwoodlandgroup.scot
Follow us! West Stormont Woodland Group
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org